Join the Wastewater Zero CommitmentReduce the impact of improper wastewater management & drive performance improvements
Business commitment to Wastewater Zero
The Wastewater Zero Commitment enables business to commit to share their internal commitments towards eliminating wastewater pollution by 2030, thereby raising their ambitions for SDG 6.3. In this commitment, business will quantify and qualify their commitment against three action pathways and report progress annually:
Treating wastewater so that the discharge has no negative impact* on the receiving water body.
Zero freshwater impact
Treating wastewater so that it can be recycled or reused to replace freshwater withdrawals in water scarce areas.
Accounting for all GHG emissions related to wastewater, and adopting wastewater treatment processes that reduce GHG emissions and net energy requirements, where feasible.
* “No negative impact” to be assessed through compliance initially and through using science-based target setting in the long term.
Wastewater Zero Champions
Wastewater Zero Champions are organizations that provide support to the overall promotion of the initiative and engage in specific activities. They support the promotion of the Wastewater Zero initiative to their respective constituencies and networks and identify opportunities to leverage partners to mobilize business to take the Wastewater Zero Commitment. Meet the champions.
Why commit to Wastewater Zero
Today, 80% of wastewater is discharged directly into the environment without prior treatment. This is bad for business, nature, climate and society. The cost of inaction far outweighs the investment required to fix the wastewater problem. If your business is committed to halting biodiversity loss, climate action or water security, taking the Wastewater Zero commitment will help you meet your targets
By taking the Wastewater Zero commitment, companies:
- Demonstrate leadership in tackling a major global challenge: water quality
- Generate impact by contributing to the implementation of the SDGs
- Aligning wastewater actions with climate, biodiversity, and water targets
- Be connected to peers and partners active in this space
- Have access to and inform the development of tools to support reaching your Wastewater Zero commitment